School Resource Officers
Campus Assignments and Responsibilities
The School Resource Officer Program is composed of three police officers and allows for the officers to be on a Greenville Independent School District (GISD) campus eight hours a day, five days a week, during the academic school year.
One officer is stationed at the Greenville High School, one officer is stationed at the Middle School campus and one officer splits his time between all the elementary schools. However, all officers are available for assignments at all Greenville schools.
Officer Hamilton and Officer Calender are responsible for the day-to-day
operation of the GISD Campus Crime Stoppers Program.
GISD and the City of Greenville share the costs of the SRO program.
For more information, call the Police Department at (903) 453-0400.
The focus of this program is to:
- Allow for a police officer to serve as an educator and counselor by interacting with the students and staff in a positive environment
- Teach criminal law enforcement and related topics in the classroom
- Serve as a resource person for GISD staff by providing expertise in the areas of existing laws and updates on new laws through classroom presentations and teaching
- Be available to the students for counseling concerning in-school and out-of-school problems
- Provide in-service programs for District staff
- Draw on other resources of the Police Department
As this program continues to develop and grow, the officers will integrate services into many different aspects / areas
of the school program. Current programs include: