A Brief History
The Greenville Fire Department was first established in May of 1883 as The Dick Hubbard Fire Company, as a result of a devastating fire in a three-story hotel that killed 13 people. The fire company was named in honor of Governor Dick Hubbard.
The fire company grew to a three-station department. The Dick Hubbard Fire Company became known as the Greenville Fire Department in 1910. During the years of 1916 and 1917, the City of Greenville began to replace massive steam pumpers with ultra modern automotive fire apparatus. In the succeeding 10 years, the Greenville Fire Department's apparatus was effectively supplemented by the addition of a motorized ladder truck and three chemical trucks.
For more information, read A Brief History of the Greenville Fire Department by Belinda McQueary.
In the early years of the Greenville Fire Department, firefighters were on duty for 11 days and off one day. After their one-day off, they started another 11 day shift.
In 1941, the Fire Department instituted, for a short time, a four-day on shift and one-day off shift schedule.
In 1942, this system gave way to 24 hours on and 24 hours off, which resulted in the upswing in the morale and efficiency of all fire department members.
In 1974, the present system of 24 hours on and 48 hours off was instituted.
- Flip-lid style hydrant, a design dating from the mid 1800s
- Operating nut atop the bonnet which releases a catch for the hinged lid
- Hydrant main valve is operated by the T-handle as shown in the photos
- The side of the barrel is marked with the letter D at the level of the outlets on both hydrants