Lateral Entry Requirements
Are You an Experienced Officer?
Please see the following to determine your eligibility for lateral entry at a higher pay rate:
- Applicants must take and pass the Civil Service Entrance Exam
- Applicants must have at least two years continuous service as a paid full-time certified police or law enforcement officer with a police or law enforcement agency as approved by the Police Chief prior to hire date. The applicant must have been in a position where he/she had the authority to enforce federal, state, and local laws, had the authority to investigate crimes, make arrests, and to respond to calls-for-service; and have been licensed to carry a firearm while on duty.
- Applicant must have a current TCLEOSE Law Enforcement Certification
- Applicant must meet all Greenville Police Department hiring qualifications and have completed all entry level testing, examinations, background investigations, and reviews according to Civil Service Rules and Department procedures
- Starting pay for an applicant approved for the Lateral Entry Program will be based upon the applicant's number of previous years experience as a qualified police or law enforcement officer. The maximum service credit will be six years or 72 months. no rank will be transferred.
- An applicant approved for the Lateral Entry Program will be eligible to receive any certification pay for which they might qualify
- For the first 12 months of employment a lateral entry officer applicant will be on probationary status with the Department
- Seniority within the Department for promotional eligibility, promotional examination seniority points, and all other purposes will be based on the applicant's date of hire within the Department. no credit for prior service outside the Department will be granted for seniority purposes.
- Participation in the Lateral Entry Program must have the approval of the Police Chief.
- Preference is given to Certified Texas Peace Officers.
For more information, contact Scott Smith, Chief of Police, at (903) 457-2920.