History of Majors Army Airfield

Constructing the Field
In 1941, the Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) informed Greenville officials that the City would receive federal assistance to build a civilian airport as part of the country's preparation for the possible entry into World War II.

In April 1941, U.S. Congressman Sam Rayburn notified Hunt County that the Civilian Airport Project would become part of a $5 million Army Air Force Training Base, housing 3,000-4,000 personnel and 300 airplanes. The base was named for Lt. Truett Majors, the first pilot from Hunt County killed in action in World War II.

Construction of the base and three auxiliary airfields in Hunt County boosted the local economy and provided employment for thousands of area residents. The base became fully operational on January 5, 1943.

Majors Army Airfield provided cadet pilots with preflight and primary training. When not exercising, studying, or training in BT-13s and P-47s, the cadets visited Greenville for recreation and to socialize with local citizens.

In addition to U.S. Army Air Corps pilots, companies of Women's Army Corps members, Royal Air Force pilots, and Mexican Air Force pilots were trained here. The base became an advanced training center before being deactivated on July 15, 1945.