Required Inspections


The number and type of inspections required for a project will vary depending on the type and scope of the project.

Following are the typical inspections that are required for the construction of a new building:
  • T-Pole or Saw Service - To be made as soon as the electrician has set the electric service pole
  • Submit Form Board Survey - The form board survey must be prepared by a Registered Professional Land Surveyor (RPLS) and must show the building setback lines and the exact location (including distances from property lines) of the foundation form boards. The foundation inspection cannot be performed until a form board survey has been submitted to the Community Development office and reviewed by the Building Inspector. (See Plan Review Checklist)
  • Plumbing, Electrical, and Mechanical Underground - All underground rough-in prior to placing any reinforcing steel or concrete
  • Foundation Inspection - To be made after trenches are excavated, forms erected, and reinforcement steel, post tension tendons, moisture vapor, pre-slab treatment, and brick ledges are in place
  • Second Inspection: Plumbing Top-Out, Electrical Rough-In, Mechanical Ductwork, and Framing - Commonly referred to as the second inspection, these four need to be called in as one inspection when all electrical rough-in, mechanical ductwork, framing, and plumbing top-out are completed. Inspections on commercial projects may vary. Some projects may require an additional above ceiling inspection before the ceiling tile is in place.
  • Brick Tie Inspection - To be made when all brick ties are nailed in place
  • Fire Resistant Penetration Inspection - To be performed when fire resistant walls, floors, and ceilings are installed and any penetrations, fire stop, or duct dampers are installed; Protection of joints and penetrations in fire resistance-rated assemblies shall not be concealed from view until inspected and approved (commercial projects only).
  • Energy Inspection - To be made after all insulation is installed and all openings around doors, windows, and plates are sealed; Tub drains in floor slabs must be grouted.
  • Temporary Utilities - The T-Pole or saw service can be moved to the permanent electrical service on a temporary basis (usually not to exceed two weeks) prior to completion of the building final inspection. Temporary electrical service requires a separate electrical permit application and fee.
  • Final Inspection and Certificate of Occupancy - To be made after the building is complete and ready for occupancy; All electrical, mechanical, and plumbing work must be complete and functioning for final inspection. Inspectors from Public Works will verify that improvements in the public right of way (such as water and sewer connections and driveway approach) are properly installed and/or constructed. Community Development will verify that site improvements were constructed in accordance with the approved site plan. After all inspections have been approved (including the final inspection), Community Development will issue a Certificate of Occupancy. All building projects require a final inspection.