Damage & Injury Claims

How to File a Claim with the City of Greenville

If you believe the City of Greenville is responsible for property damages or bodily injuries, you may file a claim for damages against the City.

A claim form may be requested by phoning the City’s Human Resource Office at (903) 457-3134, or you may download a claim form.

The completed form should be mailed to the Human Resource Office at the address on the form. Please ensure the form is fully completed and signed. Please attach all documentation (i.e., receipts, bills, photographs, diagrams, and other supporting documents). Photographs should be taken before any repairs are made in order to substantiate the claim. Generally, a claim relating to injury to a person or personal property should be filed within six (6) months from the date of the occurrence.

Once the claim form is received by Human Resources, it will be forwarded to the City's insurance carrier for investigation to determine the City’s liability and the amount of damages owed, if any. This process typically takes two to four weeks. Some claims may take longer depending on the complexity.

While the City may not be liable for all types of claims for damages, if it is determined the City may be liable, the insurance adjuster will work with you to achieve an equitable settlement. State law provides that cities are immune from liability for activities and damages. If the adjuster’s investigation into the claim and applicable laws determines the City is not liable, you will receive a letter stating your claim has been denied.

If your claim is denied or an agreement on the fair value of your claim cannot be reached, you can still maintain the option of pursuing your case in the courts. If you have legal questions regarding your claim, you should consult with a private attorney.

For more information, please contact Human Resources at (903) 457 3134.