The City of Greenville built its first wastewater treatment plant around 1916. The original plant was replaced in 1953 with a trickling filter plant which was upgraded and expanded several times and then decommissioned in 2012 when the City started up a new $22 million sequencing batch reactor (SBR) wastewater treatment plant. The new plant has a capacity of 6.0 Million Gallon per Day (MGD) and includes a new Administration Building and laboratory, new headworks with fine screens and lift station, septage receiving station, SBR activated sludge process, effluent equalization basin, ultra violet (UV) disinfection facility, sludge holding and dewatering facility and a new Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system. The new facility was partially financed through a 30 year, $20 million, zero interest loan through the Texas Water Development Board.
The plant is staffed with a total of 12 personnel. The Division also operates a laboratory and an industrial pretreatment program.